Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bathinda to Brazil...

A real cute Puunjabi kudi can take your breath away... and when you mix some Brazilian genes... she sure will cause havoc... almost. It all started a couple of weeks back....when we came back from Love Aaj Kal.I'm picky about the movies I watch, going by my instinct as much as the reviews. Sometimes they turn out to be ridiculously laborious.. Oh yes! the Pink Panther-2.A movie which I wanted to watch primarily cos the first one was partly hilarious.. and the trailer for the second one promised a lot. But I shud've known that Hollywood is as cruel as bollywood... slick trailers and sick movies! All the laughs were in the trailer.. and I was almost dozing off, having even skipped the ice cream my friend suggested I get for the movie. Anyways, back to the kahaani. Love Aaj Kal was interesting at best.. and the songs sounded even better. but one thing stood out. HARLEEN KAUR. Who the hell was that pristine and fresh face that spoke more than words could have? The eyes, the expressions.. made you look want more of Rishi Kapoor's flashback than madame Deepika herself. We came back and immediately utilized the services of Silicon valley's finest... Google! :) IMDB cast? no Harleen... other movie websites too went the same way... no listed in the cast..a nd it was just a day after the release, so not too many reviews had listed her. Finally we found her...Giselli Monteiro... now wiki even has her Har- Kaur as the display pic... we sure have taken over the www!

We began to dig more on her... a Brazilian.. ah! that explains why Shank and I looked at the screen puzzled while she achingly laboured through the jhatka dance moves... err.... but only momentarily. she looked at us again, and awwww! we were weak kneed immediately!! :))
So it was decided that the next time we go out, we'd head out to a Brazilian place..ta da! thats a cuisine we hadnt tried before... we shall dedicate it to Giselli Kaur!

The next day.The concert and the walking and running had made us hungry. We still found some energy to wander into a GAP store, cos after all it was SF..and GAP had to be good. Naa! turns out they had the same old old man stuff positioned as the yeng peepal stuff again! argh! Off to Adidas.. and I felt like I was in Delhi's airport... surrounded by taxi guys. Only, this time it was the sales guys... who thought they'd spotted their bakra for the day.Yep..I was wearing my fav Argentina jersey. My PRECIOUS! I remember running to Fifth Avenue in Bangalore , as soon as I finished college and had cash in the bank, MY cash in the bank, to get it. Ah! I finally had it... Rarely do I wear it. and that day I decided to give it a break from the boring environs of my closet and let it out in the woods to some music... The sales guys wanted me,yep.. they WANTED me to buy the new jersey that had just arrived. I looked awesome...I liked it.. but somehow felt it was wonderfully overpriced. Out we walked, getting Shank's iPhone working on Urbanspoon.. to find us a Brazilian place to eat.We found one, a few blocks away.As I was getting ready to cross the street, I walked past a parked car.. and there I saw it. A brown man, in an Argentina jersy, getting ready to waltz into a Brazilian place. Holy Crap,as Frank (from Raymond) would say!

The other two guys didn't seem too perturbed, after all, I WAS WEARING IT! :) They in fact wanted to see the outcome... would I get strange and dangerous looks? Would I be served bad food.. or even better.. would they do what I always manage to do best... drop food on my t-shirt? :)) I sprung into action. Its not too often that I respect the place I live in,NorCal or Northern California.. where you'd be endangering your mobility if you don't walk out without your jacket, especially in the evening. I typically ignore the ritual ,to enjoy the cold, but that day I hadn't.I covered every inch of the blue and white jersey.. as my wonderful friends protested.But the mother of anti-climax awaited us. The Brazilian place had closed down.. damn! I immediately got rid of my blue-gray jacket.. and proudly displayed my blue-whites as I got more hi-fives and 'awesome team maen' shouts from strangers in stores!All thanks to the kudi... the cute Latino-Poonjabi kudi(salsa and bhangra fusion playing in the background)! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment